Augusta Richmond County LEPC
Present: Elizabeth Bailey, Randy Barrs, Art Rider, D.K.Bennett, Al Gillespie, Pam Brammer, Kathy Riley, Jim Heron, John Dukes, Alan Hampton, Bahi Eimiry, Tina Hobbs, Bobby Scott, Howard Willis
Lunch Provided by Bakelite
Call to Order:
- Quorum not established/ Roll Call – 6 members present
- June minutes discussed
- No expenses since last meeting. Account in good shape.
- Whistle Stop Tour- Event will be held 9-3, October 10, 2003, anyone interested in participating- companies and vendors- need to contact the EMA. The LEPC Meeting for October will be replaced by the Whistle Stop Tour. Impact Safety will supply refreshments. Committee members will set up a booth. All members should sign in at the LEPC booth and will work in shifts at the booth. Earl Hilson to be in charge of booth and arrangements. Certificates for training will be available. There will be live entertainment. Children are welcome to come. All state agencies have been notified and asked to participate.
- Meeting for the Pharmaceutical Stockpile (renamed Strategic National Stockpile) next week. 1,000 Volunteers are needed. More info will be given at the CAER meeting August 29th.
- Ft. Gordon fire department will hold Consequence Management drill September (WMD scenario). Richmond County will work together with Ft. Gordon to update mutual aid understandings.
- Randy Barrs held discussion on Augusta’s Early Action Compact in response to the EPA action on air quality in our region. Please see Randy if you have questions. Citizens and local government need to get involved. This is a must be item to keep our area from being announced as non-attainment. Here is a brief timeline: Mar 31 Final EAP must be drafted, if draft is not submitted then Apr 2004 announce non-attainment, Jul 15 reduction strategy planning proposal. Gillespie to set up meeting with Mayor and Commissioner. – Update- Industry committee is meeting every two weeks. Augusta is one of the few cities being given this chance to make an Early Action Compact Plan. Next meeting is Thursday, 11:30 at the Chamber of Commerce.
- The County Flood Mitigation Plan is 85% written. It should be complete Oct 29 and presented to the Commission. It does not address industry. Industry will be addressed in the All Hazards Plan.
- EMA would like industry to supply their GIS coordinates to help with the All Hazards Plan.
- Fire Department has been given the okay to seek accreditation. This process will take 1-2 years to complete. 76 Departments in the country are currently accredited. Industry will be contacted more frequently.
- EMA Update- Currently handling challenges with rainfall and flooding. Emergencies are being handled well. A full-scale exercise with Bush Field Airport is being planned for October. Reminder to all… use Chief Willis as a resource. If you have questions feel free to call.
- 9-1-1 Event on September 11, 2003 at the Emergency Management 9-1-1- Center ceremonies will start at 9 AM. All interested in setting up booths please notify the EMA ASAP. Everyone is invited to join in the festivities.
- CAER meeting will be held August 29, 2003
- Columbia County is having their Fire Fest October 11. General Chemical has sponsored. A group from Richmond County.
Reminder: Meetings are held every other month at 11:00 on the second Wednesday. Next meeting will be Dec 10, 2003. Lunch to be provided by Rural Metro.
2003 Lunch Providers:
December 10, 2003 – Rural Metro