LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE
Wednesday June 12, 2002 11:00 a.m.
The Augusta-Richmond County Local Emergency Planning Committee meeting was held on Wednesday June 12, 2002 at 11:00 a.m. The meeting was held at the EMA conference room. The meeting went as follows:
B. TREASURERS REPORT.
C. OLD BUSINESS:
C. OTHER BUSINESS:
· Question was brought up Can someone be on more than one LEPC? Yes
· Committee Review: Standing Committees will be activated as needed.
· There will be a Consequence Management exercise conducted in Richmond County September 21-25. This exercise will be conducted in two phases: Phase I (21-24 Sept) training. Phase II Exercise. Phase I training will be conducted by a variety of agencies, i.e. Department of Justice, G.E.M.A., American Red Cross, etc. Some of the possible training to be conducted may include: First Responder, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Mass Casualty Management, Hazmat, Shelter Management, Disaster Mental Health, etc. Training will be open to the public; however priority for selection will be CAER, LEPC, EOC staff, Dive Team, and local industry. Phase II will occur on 25 September. We anticipate participation by eight states from across the Southeast. Federal Agencies such as FEMA and the FBI are also expected to be participants.
· The Augusta-Richmond County EMA has submitted a grant request for hazard vulnerability and risk assessment/mitigation planning. By 2003 all counties within Georgia will be required to have a hazard mitigation/vulnerability plan in place prior to Federal funds being made available even with a Federal declaration of a disaster. Needs further discussion.
· Election of Officers: Chairperson Earl Hilson (Olin), Vice Chairperson- Earl Smith (Solvay), Elizabeth Bailey (IP)- Secretary/ Treasurer.
· A Technical Review committee was formed to put in place training and procedures for the new Emergency Alert System. This committee will also appoint persons that can activate the EAS. Phone numbers for the system will be purchased in August. A suggestion was made to have 2-4 people on the LEPC to have an in-depth understanding. Don Dudley with be Chairman. Buck Griffith will be Vice Chairman.
· A committee was formed to review By-Laws. Earl Hilson will be Chairman.
· RCSO has requested the LEPC to make a donation for cartridge respirators. For Escape masks the cost would be $350.00 each. They are requesting 50. Needs further discussion.
The next LEPC meeting will held on August 7, 2002 At the Emergency Management Agency starting at 11:00 a.m..